Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Seaquest State Park - last night on the road


Seaquest State Park, Washington March 19, 2013 (242 miles)
I left at 7:30am this morning to try and beat the rain and wind storm that is forecast for later today. The road was nice and clear at first but it got pretty busy in a hurry. It sure is great that trucks can only go 55mph, what a difference that makes. In the other states where they are allowed to go 75mph, they pass me with such a wind blast that my trailer is picked up and pushed sideways. Gas is way cheaper in Oregon and state law makes it illegal to pump your own gas. That makes it very nice for customers. I went around Portland and Vancouver on the bypass highway #205. It was really busy and I was glad to get to its end, about 35 miles.

I chose to stay for my last night of the trip at Seaquest National State Park in Washington which is about half way between Portland and Tacoma. There is no internet that I can pick up with my hotspot but they have power and water for $28.00. That includes the $10 day fee. It was raining and there was no one there but the host, but I loved seeing and smelling the lovely big trees and could hardly wait to get out and walk on the trails.  We were out for a couple of hours on trails and also across the road at the Mt. St. Helen’s Visitor Center. There is a very nice wetlands area with a trail that goes for about 1 ½ miles. Due to the fog, I couldn’t see Mt. St. Helens.

As well as RV and tenting areas, they have yurts in a separate area with a volleyball net, horse shoe pits, and also large picnic areas and swing sets for kids. I really like this park even in the rain. It’s only about five miles off I-5 which cuts the noise but doesn’t take you too far off course.

I had almost forgotten about muddy shoes, and what a wet dog smells like in a small trailer. But it’s all good, he has been a loyal buddy and a dedicated guard for the whole trip, and he never complains, not when it’s hot, or cold, or when dinner is late.

When I looked at the lily pads in Silver Lake this afternoon, I remembered the first photographs of my trip were taken at Fairy Lake, when the lilies were in bloom last spring on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It’s been 29,310 kilometers since then, and my final leg of the journey starts tomorrow. What a fabulous trip. I can hardly wait to set off again - to see what’s around…the next bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment