Sunday, March 17, 2013

Redding, California March 16-17, 2013




I started off before the sun rose so that I could avoid early morning traffic going through Sacramento and heading for Redding (201 miles). Actually I don’t think the traffic ever stops. It was worth getting up to see the sun rise above fog in the fields. I got wet feet this morning walking Baloo, it’s been a long time since I have experienced dew in the morning.

After Sacramento the traffic thinned out and I began to enjoy the drive through farms and orchards. We stopped at a rest stop and the blossoms smelled and looked beautiful. Baloo had a lovely time rolling around in the grass. The most interesting sign I saw today was “Guided Goose Hunts”. And I saw my first Canadian Geese today, what a pity they were given that name. 



I stopped in at a California Welcome Centre – the first one I have seen so far and after checking out the RV parks decided to stay at the Marina RV Park because it is right downtown on the Sacramento River where there is a park with hiking and biking trails. ($29.70 with the Good Sam discount.) And the famous, (or infamous – depends if you are a tax payer I was told the original price was half that) 22 million dollar Sundial Bridge.




There is also a suspension bridge over the river built just for walkers and cyclists, and I rode along the river to it – about 5 miles each way. It was great fun on a sunny day, and I talked to several young families and kids on bikes. I was surprised to see the Peace Labyrinth and enjoyed walking it.  As I rode back to the park I also found another sundial and tried it out, very simple, cheap I will bet, and it worked perfectly.
All in all, another totally amazing day!

 Suspension bridge - it bounces quite nicely

 Trail along the Sacramento River

 Peace labyrinth



It’s hard to leave this place when there are so many interesting trails and the sun is so beautiful, but my time is nearly up – so I shall head north, but only for a few miles, about 45 to be exact, to the Shasta Trinity National Forest and the Castle Crags State Park. Procrastination? 
I have updated the map showing my route.


No comments:

Post a Comment