Thursday, March 14, 2013


 Lake Havasu State Park looking across to Lake Havasu City

Lake Havasu State Park March 12
It was an interesting drive – miles of desert, a few cattle ranches, more desert, interesting rock formations, red rock canyons and orange hills. Lake Havasu and the Colorado River from which it has been created is located on the edge of the Sonoran Desert, and summer temperatures rise to triple digits. Today it was scorching hot – in the 40’s! I got in at 3:00pm and the second thing that assailed my senses after the heat was the sound of high powered boats flying across the lake.

Then as I was backing my trailer into my campsite a guy came walking by and told me I was in his site. I stopped immediately, but it turned out that he was joking with me. haha…Then he asked if I would be swimming and when I said yes, he told me that all I needed was some pasties to put on, that’s all that the women were wearing at the beach, and he continued being helpful, telling me that they were available at the store. As I continued to set up my trailer, I had the distinct feeling that I may not like this place. Because of my truck trouble I also had lost one night at the campsite – no refunds for any reason – it’s the policy don't you know.

I set out on foot along the lake front to see the London Bridge that had been imported from England and found the Bridgewater Canal walk that went under the bridge and along the water. It was a great walk but it got quite crowded with hundreds of young people many of whom were celebrating to the max - it was spring break for Arizona, and nearly all of the lucky students seemed to have showed up at Lake Havasu.

 London Bridge at Lake Havasu

Lights included

Back at the campsite Baloo and I enjoyed a swim – it was very refreshing and the water was crystal clear. 
During the night there was lots of noise as the parties carried on, and in the morning I saw a large RV with people sleeping high on the roof. I was glad to see that no bodies had rolled off. I biked over the London Bridge and rode along a 3 ½ mile paved exercise loop on the island. There were lots of Snowbirds out walking along the trail. It had some beautiful view points to look out on the lake and the river.






Cool, clear water

As there were no campsites left, I would have to move to the overflow parking lot which looked fine, but seem as I had to pack up anyway, and it was extremely hot, I decided to head out – destination to be determined. Sometimes it just takes too long to figure out a destination, it works better to just put some miles in and see what's...around the next bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment