Friday, March 8, 2013

Kartchner Caverns, Arizona, March 7, 2013


 Arizona!

 Arizona Rest Stop - watch your step!

 Entrance to Texas Canyon
Cochise Stronghold across the Valley from the Caverns

 Beautiful!

Kartchner Caverns March 7, 2013
I packed up and felt sad to say goodbye to my friends Gaila and Dick.
It took me quite a while to get to the Caverns (200 miles approximately) because of the number of times I stopped - at rest stops, at Wal-Mart in Deming, twice for gas, and coffee, and once at McDonalds. Sheesh, it felt like a very long drive and I was bored and tired until I reached the entrance to Texas Canyon and then I was really interested in the jumbled piles of rocks and mountains and took some photos from the rest stop. There was a nice little paved path that climbs the hill just before you drive into the parking lot.

I got to the Caverns registration desk at 3:30 and the ranger told me that they were putting on the last tour of the 1/2 mile long Big Room Cavern at 4:15 so I rushed to get a campsite, walk the dog, and get back in time for the tour of the caverns. It was really extraordinary to be underground and see this amazing world full of sculptures. I have never been inside a cave like this before so I was a bit nervous about being claustrophobic but I felt nothing like that at all. The rooms are big, the ceilings high, and there are handrails and a sturdy walkway to keep everyone safe, and as well, to protect the cave from people. It’s too bad but they allow photos to be taken only once a year. They said it was the result of photographers being too pushy with other guests!

I got outside just in time to see the setting sun light up the mountain area called Cochise stronghold. It was really getting cold and when I checked the weather forecast I saw that a winter storm is moving in to the Tucson area – wind, rain, and snow at higher elevations. I am going to try and outrun it in the morning, but I am just not sure where the best area will be to go to – somewhere low that’s for sure. I might have to get back to BC to miss out on all these storms!

No comments:

Post a Comment