Sunday, September 15, 2013

Grande Prairie (Alta) to Barkerville BC August 19 2013



Grande Prairie to Barkerville
I headed west on Highway 43, passing through the little towns of Hythe, and Pouce Coupe, and then stopped in Dawson Creek at the Tourist Info site which has a nice big parking lot and lots of information. It’s Mile “0” for the Alaska Highway and I was tempted to head north to Alaska but I checked the weather, and the gas prices of the towns in that direction (up to $1.79 per litre) and I decided to give it a miss this time. Gas has risen from $1.19 per litre in Alberta to $1.42 in this area – it always hurts to fill up the tank.



I went through Chetwynd where I had planned to take the turnoff North 24 km to stay at a provincial park but changed my mind due to the grey sky and after looking at the map, set my GPS for Pine Le Moray Provincial Park (PP). When the GPS said I had arrived, there was no park entrance by that name that I could see, so I kept driving. I pulled into Tudya Lake PP thinking I could stay there but the rain was pounding down and it looked very lonely, there was only one very old motor home parked there. I also saw a black bear feeding on berries right in the camp so I decided to leave.

Whiskers Point PP – August 19
Even though I was really tired, the map indicated that it was only 20km further to Whiskers Point PP which is on McLeod Lake and has 67 sites. That turned out to be a good decision because it is one of the nicest campgrounds I have stayed at. A lovely lake, large private camp sites, super clean, and I found a double site, #57-58, with steps down to the beach, all for $16.00 per night. No power or water, but they have flush toilets. I enjoyed the nature trail that wanders up the hillside and found it to be really nice and quiet.

Mcleod Lake


Ten Mile Lake – August 20
Down Highway #97 with a stop in Prince George for gas and a visit to their very nice information centre – a beautiful building. Then back on the road and through the towns of Red Rock, Stoner, Hixan, Strathnaver, and then into Ten Mile Lake PP. They charge $5.00 to dump tanks there and the campground fee is $21.00 per night – no services. I got lucky again and got a site facing the lake in the lower camping area, #9. They have a nice dog beach here which is great. There are also huge parking lots so it must be a pretty busy place in the summer. It would be nice to have  a boat here.


Barkerville – August 21
A late start with Barkerville as my destination.  Barkerville, established in 1862 when Billy Barker discovered gold, was a ghost town at one point, but it’s been restored as a living museum and is a national historic site. First stop though was Quesnel, and as I drove past the box stores at the top of the hill and down into the town, I saw a couple of big mills belching out steam – a destination for all of the logging trucks that I had passed on the road.

Once downtown I stopped at the always important info centre and then the Reid St. Bakery for a delicious latte and carrot cake. I turned onto 26E to Barkerville – it’s quite the road, very little traffic while I was on it, and lots of steep up and downs without curves, just straight up and down.

I got into Barkerville early enough to see 3 shows. The “Cornish Wheel/Goldfields Discourse” was really funny. It was a “scheme” put on by the mine’s owner, (slimy) and the “chief engineer” (too much booze) to lure the audience into making an investment in their mine. In between the funny parts, we learned about the geology of the area and how gold was created. Hugely entertaining!




Next I saw Ben Zhou play various traditional Chinese musical instruments, which were lovely, some of them thousands of years old. The final show was “Judge Matthew Baillie Begbie – the Hanging Judge” reminiscing about early justice, and giving an example of his legendary admonitions to the jury.





At the schoolhouse I learned to paint Chinese symbols with a brush


Horse and buggy rides





Main street, Barkerville







All these heavy machine parts - so hard to get here, and now just junk


The grounds closed down soon after that, and I headed out to the closest campground to find a site but I didn’t like them, they were too small and perched on the hillside. The next one, Lowhee CG, was very nice and there was tons of space so I found a site facing the evening sun and it even had a little pond behind it with a duck floating on it. The road from Barkerville runs right along the cg and it was noisy for a while but it soon quieted down. I was thinking as I sat outside that night eating fresh corn on the cob  how good it feels to be outside, hearing birds, feeling the fresh air on my cheeks, and seeing the sun set over different hills – lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment