Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Many Glacier Campground, Glacier National Park, Montana
July 28 – August 5, 2013


A beautiful early morning drive on highway 6 down to Waterton through rolling green hills and the grey blue mountain peaks became more clear with each kilometer. Then south and east on 17, and I entered the US at the Chief Mountain Junction where they had me core my tomatoes and pepper, and took away my last fresh corn on the cob. The Chief Mountain International Highway is seasonal, named after a dominating peak that overlooks the valley, and it is a curvy climb and very rough. In addition, there are lots of cattle grazing on the sides of the road, and a couple of times, an ornery black one stood his ground and made me go around. Baloo really got a charge out of that, barking so loud that I felt like opening the door and giving him an opportunity to have a face off. Maybe he really is a cow dog.


At just that moment when I wasn’t sure if I was at the right campsite, Gaila met me on her bike. She and Dick had been up super early and had already secured us campsites.  It was so much fun to see them again, my travel buddies from Michigan that I had met in Florida and travelled with for a few weeks.  We got right into a great routine – hiking, talking, watching bears on the hillside, moose in the lakes, playing monopoly deal, going to the store for huckleberry ice cream, enjoying delicious food (Gaila’s a great cook) and generally having a fantastic time. Gaila and I went on short scenic hikes while Dick headed for the mountain peaks – a 19 mile hike with lots of big climbs is his idea of a great day.




Many Glacier Lodge - I wouldn't mind staying here

Nice looking labels

View from the lodge - an employee swims the length of the lake every day

Clouds rushing in

You have to be really early to get a site because this campground is so popular. It’s like an Indy 500 around 6:30am as campers go rushing around hoping that someone is leaving. I don’t think it’s quite what the developers of the park had in mind, but hey, once everyone is settled in their spots, or left for another day, it gets nice and quiet. And why stay here?  It could be because of the beautiful lakes, waterfalls, towering mountains, dozens of hiking trails, and Bear claws. What’s that you ask, Bear claws? Yes indeed, but that’s for another day.

Montana cowboy out for a ride and a beer at the lodge - with a knife, cartridges on belt, and 357 magnum in the holster

Cow Moose diving for lake weed

Looking after her calves in between mouthfuls. They were hidden in the bush.
She's spotted me. I think it may be time to go...


Where's lunch?








No comments:

Post a Comment