Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Rio Grande Village CG, Big Bend National Park, Texas


Feb 25, 2013 – Rio Grande Village Campground, Texas
The weather report had said it was going to be very windy overnight and as I lay there in bed feeling my trailer getting buffeted by the strong gusts, I thought yes, they were spot on with this forecast. Every time the wind slowed down, I was able to drift off to sleep, but then it would wake me again as the trailer rocked on its jacks.  I could feel dust in my nose so I got up and left the windows open only a crack and that helped cut down on the noise of the wind too.
Although a bit bleary eyed, I was all packed up and ready to move by 9:00am. I was moving with Gaila and Dick to the Rio Grande Village where we hoped to get out of the wind. The weather forecast had stated that there was a high wind warning until 6:00pm so I was careful setting out, driving around 35mph in case I encountered a big gust. At the Homer Wilson Ranch Trailhead I walked with Gaila and Dick to a big metal storage locker where Dick put in extra water for his hike. He was planning on tackling the 3 day Outer Mountain Loop/Dodson Trail once the weather calmed down.

We drove together to the Rio Grande Campground and I enjoyed the feeling of security that came with traveling with someone else. Gaila picked out some good campsites for us while we filled up with water and emptied our tanks. After setting up we biked to the store for a coffee and sat in the laundry room to check on our emails and the weather. It was still below freezing in towns along my route west. Marathon, Texas, had snow flurries. I was glad that I had turned tail and headed south to Big Bend.

Later in the afternoon we strolled along the .75mile Rio Grande Nature Trail that meanders over a small area of wetlands that they have expanded into a small pond with a bridge where we saw turtles, ducks, and minnow fish. Next the trail went up to a high promontory that provides panoramic views along the Rio Grande and into Mexico. We could see the small village of Boquillas in the state of Coahuila,  and a donkey tied up to a tree near the river. There were painted walking sticks, pink quartz rocks, and bead toys set out in various places along the path right up to the top with notes in broken English asking for sales and/or donations to help Mexican families. The people who make these items illegally cross the border (the Rio Grande) during the night and climb up the hill to check on their glass money jars and to replenish supplies. There was no money in any of the jars and I was sorry I didn’t have anything to leave. Heading back to the campground we saw a road runner that paused by the path after having a dip in the pond.




Gaila and Dick asked me to dinner that night, we had delicious chicken with couscous and vegetables, followed by my favourite dessert, chocolate. After that we played Monopoly cards and chatted. Gaila and I took Baloo for an evening walk around the campground, the stars and full moon illuminated our path. It was another great day at Big Bend National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment